Friday, September 19, 2008

Nora Gets Shafted--Part One

As promised, my friends, I went to work. No, I didn't get a job, sillies! I went to work with a particular elevator mechanic who works in a particular high-rise building. I'm not well-acquainted with this gentleman, and I could tell you neither the company's name nor the building's name. Hell, I don't even remember my guide's name. I just know he was big and sexy.

I arrived at the building in the Chicago Loop right on time, wearing practical clothing: a cute shirt, jeans and high heeled sandals. Safety first, kids. We conducted the pre-tour interview over lunch at the Elephant and Castle. I learned a little bit about this handsome stranger's work routine, such as how his work day starts, things he likes to do when he's not busy and how he and his partner get along.

Please join me on this extensive virtual tour of all things high-rise elevator. I hope you enjoy Getting Shafted as much as I did.

Eh, an office. Big deal, I know. But hey, blue-collar guys have to kick back and email their homies on company time just like the rest of us.



Where some of the magic happens. Otherwise known as the Control Room.



These approximately 3x6 foot cabinets contain all of the electronic controls for each elevator car.



The photo below shows the card racks. They hold input and output boards. For instance, if someone hits this elevator's call button in the lobby, the input board will light up.



The big cabinets contain the controllers. The smaller ones house the breaking controls, resisters and other such stuff that slow down the cars.



This is a circuit board up close and personal.



A ribbon cable connects the card rack on the elevator doors to the controller. Isn't it pretty?



This is a circuit jumper, which can bypass a circuit. They look and function just like roach clips, when you take away the protective rubber guard. I mean, uh ... These are used to bypass circuits, and bypass circuits only. I don't know what kind of maniac would use them for any other purpose.



This is a transformer, which, (as you may know, but I did not) converts voltage.



What's up, card rack? This holds all of the circuit boards.



Plug this here service tool into the controller's CPU and it runs diagnostic tests:



This computer gives the mechanics visuals on each of the cars, tells them which cars are running and so on:



Ok, folks, that concludes the first installment of Getting Shafted. It's late, and Blogger takes forever to upload images. But stay tuned, because I have lots more pictures, including me! On top of an elevator car 27!

And don't forget--Luke Baggins and I take on Calumet Fisheries tomorrow. Fish crack! Yeah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First impression: I fucking love that title! I have to pass out now, but I'll have more to say tomorrow.

Nora said...

Of course you love the title. It totally lacks subtlety and class!