Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Box

John held his breath as he opened the box. He looked at the sheaf of papers and photographs in confusion.

“What's all this?”

“Proof, you moron.”

He shook, certain that Adele had the originals in a safe place, otherwise he would have gladly gripped her neck. He could almost feel the tendons and ligaments pop. Instead, he finished the Glenlivet his twin had poured him.

“So?”

“So, leave me alone. I know it was you who pushed me, but Mother seems to believe I was being dramatic, as usual. Leave me the fuck alone, John, and you have nothing to worry about.”

“You’re crazy, Adele. I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Typical. For the longest time, I thought I was just being paranoid, too. But know that if you try to do me in again, you will be exposed. Mother will see I haven’t been lying and the shares in the mines will never be yours.”


No comments: